• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

C. Americanus?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Patorikku - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:33 PM

Patorikku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNortheastern Mississippi
I’ve been told previously that an ant I presented was C. Americanus. Found a load of queens out today and was hoping for a verification on the species.

I also found them all within a 2 block radius on windows. Last night I had found a colony that was prepping their queens from the looks of it. It rained last night so I assumed their flights were today. It had started a light rain when I found these ladies on some store front windows in town. I am hoping they completed their flights.

1. Location of collection: Northeastern Mississippi
2. Date of collection: 05/23/2020
3. Habitat of collection: Window
4. Length (from head to gaster): 1 cm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Orange
6. Distinguishing characteristics: orange
7. Distinguishing behavior: Rather docile
8. Nest description: NA
9. Nuptial flight time and date: 05/23/20209da5b114fe86564a6c64651d7b1874fa.jpg
b5561ce1610c2e9d49e2e4de1ba3f314.jpg
2e88b47eafe879768ff72689975f8299.jpg
e07e383ecaadcf662a28e9517776a283.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Offline Patorikku - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:35 PM

Patorikku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNortheastern Mississippi
I would like to add that they are lighter in color in person. My kitchen lighting did not do their pictures justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Online RushmoreAnts - Posted May 23 2020 - 5:35 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Sorry, those are males.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 23 2020 - 10:29 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Camponotus castaneus males.
  • RushmoreAnts likes this

#5 Online RushmoreAnts - Posted May 24 2020 - 6:11 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The heads are way too small to be queens, the gaster tips are pointed and wasp-like, and the antennae are not 'elbowed', and look wasp-like.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#6 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 24 2020 - 6:28 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Definitely a few males in there. I'd keep looking around where you caught them if I were you; you may be able to find some queens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users