• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Neivamyrmex opacithorax

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#121 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 27 2020 - 5:48 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I see no reason at least a partial substrate change would be harmful. Removal of the older substrate should help prevent the build up harmful pathogens and parasites.

I will start doing this.

#122 Offline Squidkid - Posted May 27 2020 - 6:34 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
I would Think cleaning the containers would help too. Like I mentioned previously. I mean if They like to move around naturally, then cleaning a previous Nest site might trick Them into returning for reuse. Then You could cycle the containers. When They leave for another one, remove the old one, clean, then return. Gives Them the feeling of more unexplored territory.
Just food for though

#123 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 27 2020 - 7:40 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Bit of a stretch but creating a realistic environment consisting of a variety of local soil microfauna may help immesnly. Of course that would require diligent sifting and sorting so its a bit of a hassle but in theory it will prevent any one animal (mites, nematodes, etc) from becoming too dominat and reproducing exponentially.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#124 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 28 2020 - 1:52 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Bit of a stretch but creating a realistic environment consisting of a variety of local soil microfauna may help immesnly. Of course that would require diligent sifting and sorting so its a bit of a hassle but in theory it will prevent any one animal (mites, nematodes, etc) from becoming too dominat and reproducing exponentially.

Thank you for that suggestion.

#125 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 28 2020 - 2:53 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I would Think cleaning the containers would help too. Like I mentioned previously. I mean if They like to move around naturally, then cleaning a previous Nest site might trick Them into returning for reuse. Then You could cycle the containers. When They leave for another one, remove the old one, clean, then return. Gives Them the feeling of more unexplored territory.
Just food for though

I am going to clean three containers tomorrow, the container with the colony is quarantined and I have already added predatory mites.  We will see now.

#126 Offline Squidkid - Posted May 28 2020 - 3:30 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok. Keep us updated.

#127 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 29 2020 - 3:52 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Here are two pics of Stratiolaelaps scimitus the predatory mite I am fingers-crossed-pinch-of-salt-over-shoulder hopeful will assist in the mite issue.  They arrived yesterday at 12500 count in the container.  I ordered from ARBICO Organics in Tucson.  With the colony quarantined in Container A, all other containers disconnected and today they will be cleaned, media sterilized and reset.  I placed approximately 1/2 of the arrived mites into the container since they came in a vermiculite substrate I sprinkled it on the whole surface area of the container.  

predatory nite 2

predatory mite 1

Edited by PurdueEntomology, May 29 2020 - 3:53 AM.

#128 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 29 2020 - 3:58 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Going into to see Dr. Ernest Bernard (https://epp.tennesse...nest-c-bernard/) with a sample of live ants at 10am.  He is going to look at the mites and hopefully confirm that they are parasitic or phoretic.  I am on the parasitic side of the fence. Will have an update.  I also wanted to thank all of you who are taking interest in this venture and are supportive.  

#129 Offline Squidkid - Posted May 29 2020 - 7:21 AM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Let us hope for Phoretic.

#130 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 29 2020 - 7:41 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

So here are the same image at different brightness.  Dr. Bernard believes they are phoretic.  I am to take a few more live ants in , he is going to take live mites and culture them the way he does for phoretic mites on millipedes and see what they are. There was a second small mite which he is going to look into also.

mites On ants 2

mites On ants

Edited by PurdueEntomology, May 29 2020 - 8:13 AM.

• gcsnelling likes this

#131 Offline Squidkid - Posted May 29 2020 - 7:54 AM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Well that is leaning toward good news!

#132 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 29 2020 - 3:08 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I communicated with the company from which I purchased the predatory mites inquiring as to the mites viability upon receipt, they informed me 18hours, at that I placed the rest of the mites into Container A.  I sanitized and reapplied Fluon™ to the remaining containers.  I heat sanitized all the soil at 250F for a minimum of 30 minutes and tested the internal temperature to ensure each batch reached over 200F.  I also heat sanitized all the clay pottery shards and clay reptile fake bark.  The remaining containers were set up afterwards and reconnected with sanitized tubing.  I have not reconnected Container A though to them. 

#133 Offline Canadant - Posted May 29 2020 - 3:50 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

From My personal experience Here where I Live They do not appear to be a Keystone Species. Not to say They aren't Important. My experience seems to show that They are more or less like Tapinoma sessile. Nomadic and numerous. But There presence seems inconsequential to The areas they roam through. Again. This is not a fact. Just based on My experience with Them
From My personal experience Here where I Live They do not appear to be a Keystone Species. Not to say They aren't Important. My experience seems to show that They are more or less like Tapinoma sessile. Nomadic and numerous. But There presence seems inconsequential to The areas they roam through. Again. This is not a fact. Just based on My experience with Them

Just to be clear, you seem to think a keystone species is a species hugely important to the environment, as far as I am aware this is not true. A keystone species is an animal whose population and overall health reflects the health of the environment it lives in. While Neivamyrmex may not be hugely important to the environment, an environment with Neivamyrmex in it is almost guaranteed to be a healthy place in order to be able to support the sheer amount of food intake these ants can have. Keystone species do not have to play a major role, but simply are very sensitive animals reliant on a specific environment.

"A species whose importance to community and ecosystem structure, composition and function is disproportionally large relative to its abundance". (https://web.utk.edu/...z Dimarco.pdf).The keystone species must be able to demonstrate a disproportionate effect on its environment for example when it is removed. To be honest I am not aware of any scientific work to demonstrate that Neivamyrmex opacithorax, nigrescens or carolinensis meet the varied and often times blurred definitions of a keystone species, the best being that which I cited. For example much field research has shown that Eciton burchellii is by all accounts a keystone species and if it was removed then a dramatic shift in the local ecology of where it lives would be affected, but like I said this has not been TO ME via scientific data been demonstrated with our three eastern Neivamyrmex species.

I'm just reading along here out of interest but could an example of a keystone species be the wolves of Yosemite? Relatively small in numbers buy having a huge impact when removed. Sorry to just jump in here. Just interested in what you're saying.

Thanks for the journal and discussion.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#134 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 29 2020 - 3:53 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Just to be clear, you seem to think a keystone species is a species hugely important to the environment, as far as I am aware this is not true. A keystone species is an animal whose population and overall health reflects the health of the environment it lives in. While Neivamyrmex may not be hugely important to the environment, an environment with Neivamyrmex in it is almost guaranteed to be a healthy place in order to be able to support the sheer amount of food intake these ants can have. Keystone species do not have to play a major role, but simply are very sensitive animals reliant on a specific environment.

"A species whose importance to community and ecosystem structure, composition and function is disproportionally large relative to its abundance". (https://web.utk.edu/...z Dimarco.pdf).The keystone species must be able to demonstrate a disproportionate effect on its environment for example when it is removed. To be honest I am not aware of any scientific work to demonstrate that Neivamyrmex opacithorax, nigrescens or carolinensis meet the varied and often times blurred definitions of a keystone species, the best being that which I cited. For example much field research has shown that Eciton burchellii is by all accounts a keystone species and if it was removed then a dramatic shift in the local ecology of where it lives would be affected, but like I said this has not been TO ME via scientific data been demonstrated with our three eastern Neivamyrmex species.

I'm just reading along here out of interest but could an example of a keystone species be the wolves of Yosemite? Relatively small in numbers buy having a huge impact when removed. Sorry to just jump in here. Just interested in what you're saying.

I suppose for me to answer that I would have to see the effects of when wolves were largely diminished or actually extinct in previous ranges then reintroduced.  https://www.yellowst...-reintroduction.

#135 Offline Canadant - Posted May 29 2020 - 3:59 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I suppose for me to answer that I would have to see the effects of when wolves were largely diminished or actually extinct in previous ranges then reintroduced. https://www.yellowst...-reintroduction.

Lol. Sorry I assume things sometimes. Thought it was a common understanding amongst us nature nuts. Yeah there were big changes when they left and then things began to revert back when reintroduced.

Thanks.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#136 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 29 2020 - 5:12 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I was just speaking as per the definition "must be able to demonstrate"...."Disproportionate effect"...."removed". So if we have some data of the state of the Yellowstone/Western region whilst wolves were present, then data on environment/biologies/ecologies when they were absent then changes that are "proportionate" when reintroduced we could say wolves are most like keystone or not. So after writing the aforementioned I quickly Googled and found this:  https://www.national...cies-ecosystem/.  So this will answer your question.  

#137 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 30 2020 - 5:24 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

From Dr. Bernard:

Gary, your ants have two different species of mites on them. Both of the forms are the hypopus stage. I've mounted some on permanent slides and the ventral suckers are quite obvious. If I get a few live ants next week I'll culture the mites.  

--end email.  :yahoo:     (ie they are phoretic so far and NOT ectoparasitic to our current knowledge)

• gcsnelling, TennesseeAnts, Nare and 1 other like this

#138 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 30 2020 - 5:39 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

The larvae are beginning to pupate!!  Also, the aggressiveness shown recently at brood-food offering is diminishing, which is understandable as the need and "incitement" to gather food for larvae is lessening.  I have been out for 12 hours today collecting Tapinoma sessile from certain select areas of East Tennessee and will continue tomorrow morning bright and early.   :X

• gcsnelling likes this

#139 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 30 2020 - 6:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,715 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Great news about the mites.
Wolves had a tremendous impact on Yellowstone by limiting white tailed deer populations. This in turn allowed native vegetation to rebound, helping all sorts of herbivores. Native trees along stream banks filtered watered again, vastly improving water quality for aquatic creatures. They are definitely keystone species.

Edited by ANTdrew, May 30 2020 - 6:31 PM.

• Canadant, TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#140 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 31 2020 - 3:29 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Great news about the mites.
Wolves had a tremendous impact on Yellowstone by limiting white tailed deer populations. This in turn allowed native vegetation to rebound, helping all sorts of herbivores. Native trees along stream banks filtered watered again, vastly improving water quality for aquatic creatures. They are definitely keystone species.

Yes, I have posted a link in the above thread as a result of my looking into the question.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users