• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dirt Box

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 2 2020 - 10:20 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I prefer Drews dirb box by far, one because it's local, another becuase it's made in the USA, and also because it seems like it's built better/more solit, but.....   If you need one, and Drew is out of them and doesn't know when they will be avaialable again, this nest looks like a good alternative.  I think I may buy one and do a review on it so everyone can know what it's like. 

https://www.ant-shac...h-cube-ant-nest

What do you guys think?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 2 2020 - 10:55 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Not a fan from just looking at it.  No point in having open space in the digging area if there is going to be an out-world attached anyways.  If you were to only use the digging chamber solely for your colony, the amount of free space at the top doesn't seem like it's enough.  Also not sure how you are supposed to hydrate the ytong in the center, I couldn't read anything about that.

#3 Offline Broncos - Posted May 2 2020 - 10:56 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

I prefer Drews dirb box by far, one because it's local, another becuase it's made in the USA, and also because it seems like it's built better/more solit, but..... If you need one, and Drew is out of them and doesn't know when they will be avaialable again, this nest looks like a good alternative. I think I may buy one and do a review on it so everyone can know what it's like.

https://www.ant-shac...h-cube-ant-nest

What do you guys think?

Yes I completely agree! But the only thing is if you don’t set it up PERFECTLY the bottom connector parts will open and the ants can get out every once in a while. If anyone wants to support me when it comes to buying there... just use this link: https://ant-shack.com?ref:isaac

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 2 2020 - 11:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Being someone who has obviously done a lot of research and development on this type of setup, I can point out a few potential problems. Like Zeiss said, I have no idea how it's actually hydrated. Also, I tried going with a solid core made of an absorbent material for a while, and #1, you don't get the moisture gradient that you do with a liquid-tight inner tank that only allows water to flow through the bottom and up the thin digging space on the sides, and #2 for the same reason, the water evaporates a lot faster. You essentially just have a box of substrate (ironically the way mine are named).

This type of acrylic container is definitely not the best choice for a dirt nest. Those pieces of acrylic are snapped together and are not going to hold liquids in. I know from experience, that even the slightest crack will slowly start to leak out nastiness, so I can't imagine what will happen on all the corners of this thing. If I'm not mistaken, it even looks like they have an array of holes purposely built into the sides, which is even worse.

BugFinder is right though, there aren't any of mine available right now, and I am not sure when I will have more made. There definitely will be more though. I am actively working on some small upgrades to the design.

• BugFinder, ANTdrew and Broncos like this

#5 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted May 2 2020 - 11:32 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I looked at the site, and there's a block of Y-tong in the middle through which it's hydrated.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Formica cf. ravida, cf. obscuriventris

Myrmica sp.

#6 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 2 2020 - 11:35 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I looked at the site, and there's a block of Y-tong in the middle through which it's hydrated.

We asked how we hydrate that block of y-tong.  The site shows or says nothing about how to make that y-tong wet to hydrate the rest of the nest.

• RushmoreAnts likes this

#7 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted May 2 2020 - 11:36 AM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Oh, ok.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds (including ants). And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Formerly called AntsDakota, not to be confused with Ants_Dakota (hence the name change). You can still call me Adak.

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Formica cf. pallidefulva, cf. incerta, cf. subsericea, unidentified fusca group sp. 

Myrmica sp.

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted May 2 2020 - 11:55 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I would not use that if it was given to me. As said above the unsealed nature of the cube is a mess waiting to happen. You're going to get the substrate slowly sifting through no matter how large a grain sizae you usue there will always be some smaller particles that will get through. If I had to guess this dirt formicarium has had little testing. 

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 2 2020 - 12:26 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

thanks for the feedback.  Due to your comments, I've decdied not to buy it.  I'll just wait for drews lol.

• Broncos likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#10 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted May 2 2020 - 12:29 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Drew's research vs. theirs probably looks like calculus vs. long division.

• BugFinder likes this

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Myrmica sp.

#11 Offline Broncos - Posted May 2 2020 - 12:30 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Overall for me... it is good but my only problem is the ants escaping if you don’t glue it together. (Which I didn’t)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#12 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 2 2020 - 12:31 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It's crazy how many new products are available since I left the hobby.   When I left, AC's Hybrid nest was brand new (I bought one just to check it out).  Now there are tons of ant supply vendors - its great!!

Edited by BugFinder, May 2 2020 - 12:31 PM.

• RushmoreAnts likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#13 Offline RushmoreAnts - Posted May 2 2020 - 12:33 PM

RushmoreAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

I hope this means the hobby's growing.........

• BugFinder likes this

Keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans

Myrmica sp.

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 2 2020 - 11:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I hope this means the hobby's growing.........

It doesn't. It just means manufacturers in China found more stuff to copy.

• BugFinder, Broncos and RushmoreAnts like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users