• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Article: Ants injured while hunting for termites get help from paramedic-style triage system

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 30 2020 - 6:01 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Searched the forum and didn't see this listed. There are several news articles on this, many behind a paywall, but this one is viewable if you're under your LA Times limit on your browsers. I remember reading this a couple years ago, probably when it came out, and this is why I was a bit bummed by my Veromessors' relatively lackadaisical attitude. But my first colony DID seem to care for a sugar-coated individual once I got her far enough into the test tube.

Medic! Ants injured while hunting for termites get help from paramedic-style triage system

https://www.latimes....0216-story.html

• BADANT and justanotheramy like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus (inactive), vicinus, laevigatus/quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus (inactive)

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and californicus (inactive)

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#2 Offline justanotheramy - Posted January 30 2020 - 6:20 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I love this about ants.

I liked this Guardian article about it, which has video, and this sentence which for some reason I find very touching:
"When help arrives, the injured ants tuck in their legs so they can more easily be carried back to the nest."

https://www.theguard...njured-comrades

• BADANT and OhNoNotAgain like this

#3 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:01 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Yeah I guess I was a bit disappointed V. pergandei covered in water/sugar/oil don't seem to get that kind of help unless (in the case of my first colony) I shoved them deep into the test tube. But someone scoffed at my use of the word "medical" so um ... hey, not making it up :P 

• justanotheramy likes this

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus (inactive), vicinus, laevigatus/quercicola

Tetramorium sp.

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:06 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I wonder if you could keep these if you had a termite feeder colony...
  • OhNoNotAgain likes this

#5 Offline justanotheramy - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:13 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Maybe the coating meant they weren't effectively emitting the pheromone to attract help?

#6 Offline justanotheramy - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:18 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Of the 5 alate larvae my orphan colony are raising, only 1 was already big and jubey when I dropped her in there… and the workers didn't mover her for ages. First, they spent a very long time… tending to her surface with their mandibles.
I don't know if they were soothing her, or repairing her, or what they were doing? But it was interesting.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#7 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:33 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

I suspect Veromessor just aren't into medical triage very much because it SEEMS like they aren't very coordinated in general, unlike a species that regularly finds concentrated and dangerous food sources like termites or something. Just a guess, though. I think I read somewhere (?) V. pergandei don't do the typical food scent trail thing because their diet is so heavily seed-based, and they find seeds scattered and I'm suspecting it's usually one ant per seed... though I am told they follow large highways away from the nest and then branch out individually down the road. But I could be wrong on this speculation.

• justanotheramy likes this

Tetramorium sp.

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 30 2020 - 7:49 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I wonder if you could keep these if you had a termite feeder colony...

No. They're basically army ants with set nesting spots. You'd need more than one colony, maybe like 500.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users