• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis Imapris Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted January 19 2020 - 2:35 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Everyone seems to lose this particular spieces at around two years, colonies just die out. My imparis formicarium is going to be constructed in a way that best matches their natural nest. It will be a tall tubular formicarium "4ft" or so and will be heated from the top and blacked out at the bottom. Not sure about substrate if I wanna go like ytong or just plain all natural dirt. I figured during the summer time I will actually increase heat to imitate summer time diapause and the winter time I will cut the heat completely to encourage winter foraging. But first before any of this can happen I have to catch some queens ;)

Edited by Andrewslatter, January 23 2020 - 9:59 PM.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 20 2020 - 12:36 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I’m not sure a 4 foot tall formicarium will improve your chances of successfully raising a colony, and will most likely create more problems than solutions: Such as trying to keep 4 feet of dirt hydrated properly.

#3 Offline Unfrozen - Posted January 20 2020 - 1:10 PM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

I’m not sure a 4 foot tall formicarium will improve your chances of successfully raising a colony, and will most likely create more problems than solutions: Such as trying to keep 4 feet of dirt hydrated properly.

^^^^ I'm keeping mine in a large test tube for now

Edited by Unfrozen, January 20 2020 - 1:11 PM.

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 20 2020 - 1:56 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Prenolepis imparis nests are found very deep in the soil; chambers are only found 60 cm below ground and lower. Nests have been known to extend down about 3.6 meters. This is, of course, due to the fact that they are a cold loving species and during the summer, the soil around their nests are usually much cooler than the ground above.

#5 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 20 2020 - 3:43 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Prenolepis imparis nests are found very deep in the soil; chambers are only found 60 cm below ground and lower. Nests have been known to extend down about 3.6 meters. This is, of course, due to the fact that they are a cold loving species and during the summer, the soil around their nests are usually much cooler than the ground above.

Correct. However, an above ground in a container won’t vary the temperatures or very much anything. So a 4 foot container will be the same as a 6 inch one from the ant’s perspective.. What matters is what temperatures you are keeping them. Having a 4 foot tall container will simply make it much harder to monitor the ants and perform maintainence.
  • TheMicroPlanet likes this

#6 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 20 2020 - 3:54 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Correct. However, an above ground in a container won’t vary the temperatures or very much anything. So a 4 foot container will be the same as a 6 inch one from the ant’s perspective.. What matters is what temperatures you are keeping them. Having a 4 foot tall container will simply make it much harder to monitor the ants and perform maintainence.

True, but such a container would simulate their natural environment. As for the temperature thing, I don't think it'd be that hard to pull off. I think there just needs to be more research done.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 20 2020 - 5:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,751 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think one of Dspdrew’s big soil vase nests could work for this. Try replicating what he did. Then again, Prenolepis may be just one of the wierdly awesome ants one should admire *in the wild.*
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 21 2020 - 7:56 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I would try a mini hearth or any other formicarium that repletes can hang from. I would also maybe try keeping the colony in a fridge at all times, as the Temperature would be perfect for them.

Edited by Manitobant, January 21 2020 - 7:56 AM.

#9 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 21 2020 - 8:03 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I would try a mini hearth or any other formicarium that repletes can hang from. I would also maybe try keeping the colony in a fridge at all times, as the Temperature would be perfect for them.

Prenolepis impairs needs to be warm in the summer, as they go through a summer diapause. Just like how temperate ants need a winter diapause. It’s better to mimic natural temperatures. I big reason they stop producing is not going through a proper temperature cycle.
  • TheMicroPlanet likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users