• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

902 replies to this topic

#881 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted September 2 2024 - 2:13 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV
Here is an outworld I made using hobby lobby perfect cast and a stepped drill bit.

gallery_8256_2377_2302099.jpeg
  • Ljimmy009 likes this

“You’ll survive” -wise man.
Currently keeping:
Brachymyrmex patagonicus

Solenopsis invicta

Crematogaster sp.

#882 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 2 2024 - 2:47 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Here is an outworld I made using hobby lobby perfect cast and a stepped drill bit.

gallery_8256_2377_2302099.jpeg

To elevate your tube ports to the next level, you may wish to purchase tube ports here from por amor art to streamline the connection of ants in the future.

• ANTdrew, Ljimmy009 and cooIboyJ like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship ants nationwide

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

My Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

#883 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 3 2024 - 8:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The PorAmor tube ports are worth every penny! 

• Ants_Dakota and cooIboyJ like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#884 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 3 2024 - 8:42 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The PorAmor tube ports are worth every penny! 

Just bought 10 ;)

• ANTdrew and cooIboyJ like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Nationwide Ant Shop Here I have PPQ-526 permits to ship ants nationwide

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

My Formica sp. Journal

My Lasius sp. Journal

My Micro Ants Journal

My Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

#885 Offline Yusteponant - Posted September 23 2024 - 7:14 AM

Yusteponant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSan Marino,California

All of your guys nests and outworlds look so nice!

All mine are 3d printed I might try out using plaster molds.

• Ljimmy009 likes this

#886 Offline Yusteponant - Posted September 23 2024 - 10:46 AM

Yusteponant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSan Marino,California

What CNC machines do you guys use because I want to buy one.

#887 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted September 23 2024 - 11:49 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

What CNC machines do you guys use because I want to buy one.

mine is all done in mold during the plaster pour. No CNC or handheld cutting with mine.

I use thin wood cut to size for the mold. Sand and modeling clay used to create the negative empty space where tunnels and chambers will be.
And holes drilled through the wood mold to run the watertower fill tubes and entrance/exit ports through.

Once a nest dries, it's done already. I just wash out the sand to reveal all the empty nest space. Then take it to the frame shop to get a glass cover cut to fit.

But i do all the work as part of the mold and pour process. There is no cutting/drilling to do later. Maybe sometimes just a little sanding to smooth out an edge somewhere.

here's a link to my most recent nest build earlier in this thread for an example:
https://www.formicul...orlds/?p=233844

#888 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted September 30 2024 - 8:23 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

I have made this formicarium for a founding Pogonomyrmex queen, I used a small plastic container and cut a hole out of the side with a pocket knife and made a lot of air holes on the lid ( lid is not pictured ). Substrate is a probably 1 to 2/3rds ratio of reptile coco substrate to sand as well as a splash of water, I have given her a piece of mealworm and a drop of honey water on the right side, and closer to the test tube entrance I have given her a bit of water as her tube is running pretty close to dry so I figured it couldn't hurt ( it isn't enough to drown her don't worry.) . Hopefully she will haul substrate into her tube instead of digging in the "outworld" area, but I can't really guarantee anything. Please let me know what you think.  :) IMG_1910.jpg IMG_1911.jpg

Attached Images

• IMG_1912.jpg

• AntsGodzilla likes this

#889 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted October 1 2024 - 6:49 PM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

I have made this formicarium for a founding Pogonomyrmex queen, I used a small plastic container and cut a hole out of the side with a pocket knife and made a lot of air holes on the lid ( lid is not pictured ). Substrate is a probably 1 to 2/3rds ratio of reptile coco substrate to sand as well as a splash of water, I have given her a piece of mealworm and a drop of honey water on the right side, and closer to the test tube entrance I have given her a bit of water as her tube is running pretty close to dry so I figured it couldn't hurt ( it isn't enough to drown her don't worry.) . Hopefully she will haul substrate into her tube instead of digging in the "outworld" area, but I can't really guarantee anything. Please let me know what you think.  :) attachicon.gifIMG_1910.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_1911.jpg

Well I am currently watching her do exactly what I hoped she wouldn't do, she is digging a nest instead of staying in the test tube. can't say I am surprised though. It is pretty fun watching her go in and out and in and out moving the soil though I will admit.

#890 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 4 2024 - 6:24 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Is this good to make a nest? 

Magnets mesh for water tower, and outworld?

Edited by AntsGodzilla, October 4 2024 - 6:26 PM.

I keep:

Pogonomyrmex Rugosus journal
Myrmecocystus Deplisis journal
Monomorium ergatogyn Journal

And many Carnivorous plants such as:

Dionea (fly trap), Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant), Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant), and Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores it's provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6: 6-8

#891 Offline eea - Posted October 7 2024 - 6:39 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Is this good to make a nest? 

Magnets mesh for water tower, and outworld?

Yes

• rptraut and AntsGodzilla like this

#892 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 14 2024 - 11:58 AM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Here is one of the first DIY I have made, I used perfect cast, neodymium magnets, and cork, so the ants could get rough texture in the nest.

Screenshot-2024-10-14-12-50-32-PM.png

Screenshot-2024-10-14-12-50-48-PM.png

Screenshot-2024-10-14-12-51-03-PM.png

• eea likes this

I keep:

Dionea (fly trap), Sarracenia x 'Fiona' ( American Pitcher plant), Nepenthese ventrata (Tropical Pitcher plant), and Pinguicula agnata x emarginata (Butterwort) 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores it's provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6: 6-8

#893 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 14 2024 - 1:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Looks nice. How will you cover the top?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#894 Offline kiedeerk - Posted October 14 2024 - 1:38 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Overall it looks nice for your first few attempts. The 2 problems I see is lack of water tower or a method to increase humidity and the nest being round which makes it harder to get a round piece of glass. I would have put three magnets in a triangular formation to make it more secure

Attached Images

• IMG_5378.jpeg
  • IMG_5375.jpeg

• AntsGodzilla likes this

#895 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 14 2024 - 3:51 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Looks nice. How will you cover the top?

I'm probably going to use a piece of square glass.

I keep:

#896 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 14 2024 - 3:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A petri dish lid might work. You do need some hydration method, though.

#897 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 14 2024 - 4:11 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Would nest mates work? I'm waiting for my mesh to arrive. What do you guys use for the part of the water tower that holds the water?

I keep:

#898 Offline JenC - Posted October 14 2024 - 5:11 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

https://youtu.be/Fzn...DqWgQvPGbUmWjKP

Dirt boxes I made along with me putting Camponotus inside the smaller one.

I was fine with big chambers.

Edited by JenC, October 14 2024 - 5:25 PM.

• UtahAnts, eea and AntsGodzilla like this

#899 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted October 15 2024 - 7:27 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Would nest mates work? I'm waiting for my mesh to arrive. What do you guys use for the part of the water tower that holds the water?

typically it's plastic tealight holders, with some screenmesh metled over the open top.

like these:
71bFeWuCGAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

use an old pan you won't cook with anymore, use low heat on the stove and place a cut out of screen mesh just a little bigger than the tealight holder in the pan. When it is hot press the tealight holder down onto the mesh. It should only take a couple seconds. It will leave a little plastic in the pan, but if you do it right just a tiny bit that won't even smoke much.

The mesh will be sealed over the top.

Then i use a nail or other bit of small metal like a papaerclip heated up, to poke a hole in the side of the tealight dish(up high to be above the water level) for a bit of tube to allow water to be added once it is sealed into a nest.

Here's one in a nest, you can't see the fill tube here as it goes out the back of the nest.
post-7513-0-70469300-1681141321.jpg

• ANTdrew and AntsGodzilla like this

#900 Offline AntsGodzilla - Posted October 15 2024 - 12:23 PM

AntsGodzilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

After I seal all the gaps, would this works as a lid and an out world?

Screenshot-2024-10-15-1-15-57-PM.png

Screenshot-2024-10-15-1-16-14-PM.png

Screenshot-2024-10-15-1-16-31-PM.png

• eea likes this

I keep:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users